Welcome to your lifetime Spanish learning experience
Antigua Guatemala Map
Check our location and some other important spots in Antigua Guatemala, click the icon to enlarge.
Antigua was the capital of Central America in 1543. Is a small city located in the Guatemala highlands at 5000 feet, (1500mt), and dates from the Spanish colonial era. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by lush mountains and three extinct volcanoes, creating an incredible panoramic view. In 1965, Antigua was named "Monument of the Americas" by the Pan American Institute, due to its cobblestone streets, magnificent ruins and Spanish colonial architecture making it one of the most charming cities in the whole of Latin America. In October 1979 The Organization of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization-UNESCO- declared “La Antigua Guatemala” ““Cultural Heritage ¨”
Not only Antigua, but the surroundings villages also provide an abundance of interesting and colorful places to visit.
The Easter celebrations are a fascinating sight, which attracts thousands of Latin Americans every year, as Antigua was the original sight of the first Catholic Convents. Today Antigua can claim a truly international variety of restaurants and nightlife. There are also excellent opportunities for hiking, climbing, camping, swimming and cycling. Then add to this the world famous ruins of Tikal, further away but very accessible, and you'll find yourself spoilt with things to see and do.
The beautiful surroundings of Antigua and the fascinating ancient Mayan culture of Guatemala will make your stay the experience of your life!
Titles granted to Antigua Guatemala
- December 28, 1532, Villa de Medina del Campo, Spain Royal Decree of Queen Juana gives the COAT OF ARMS TO SANTIAGO DE GUATEMALA.
- December 18, 1534, San Pedro, Rome Pontifical Bull by His Holiness Saint Paul III granted the status of Guatemala City to Santiago, and establishing his church in Cathedral.
- March 10, 1566, Palace of El Escorial, Madrid, Spain Real Cedula of Philip II, which gives titles perpetually ¨ Very Noble and Loyal City of Santiago de Guatemala ¨
- February 17, 1838. New Guatemala de La Asunción Legislative Assembly Act which gives the Antigua Guatemala, the title of "Meritorious City"
- March 30, 1944. Nueva Guatemala de La Asunción Decree No. 2772 of the new Legislative Assembly, declared La Antigua Guatemala "National Monument"
- October 12, 1958 Nueva Guatemala de la Asunción, La Antigua Guatemala is declared ¨ Capital of the Republic ° for 24 hours, according to Government Agreement of September 25, 1958.
- October 12, 1958 Nueva Guatemala de La Asunción Founded Legislative Assembly, pursuant to Decree No. 1254, declaring the City of Antigua Guatemala as “Emeritus City”
- July 25, 1961. Government Agreement given to La Antigua Guatemala the first place Tacita de Plata Contests.
- December 9, 1962. Governmental Agreement of December 7, 1962, which declares La Antigua Guatemala · Capital of the Republic.
- July 7, 1965, is declared to Antigua Guatemala - City Monument of America -
- October 1979. The Organization of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization-UNESCO-declared heritage - La Antigua Guatemala Cultural Heritage ¨
- April 24, 2004, the former is declared as ¨ Mystical City Guatemala ¨ by the municipal council of Antigua Guatemala.
- March 10, 2005, The Government of the Republic of Guatemala, declared Antigua Guatemala as “The First Cultural Capital of Guatemala ¨
- July 17, 2006 La Antigua Guatemala, the Government of the Republic of Guatemala declares to Antigua Guatemala as ¨ The City of Peace”
- March 2009, The Wanderlust magazine of Europe, Antigua Guatemala was honored as “The Best Tourist Destination In The World”